Monday, December 16, 2013

Wargames Illustrated

So it was inevitable that I was going to purchase this magazine.   A bright glossy magazine full of articles on my favourite period.  A perfect match right?
Errrr......no.
The whole thing left me disappointed.  I thought the articles were poor overall, no great insight to the period or the means to get started in wargaming the hobby.  Indeed the introductory article could have been written with any period in mind and with not much more thought.  The figures available section failed to talk about the ranges from Old Glory & Wargames Factory (presumably because they hadn't sent any free samples for a review  but they could have been mentioned as a matter of completeness). 
That then left us with two other articles both looking at the same thing in a way - 1704 & Blenheim.  Not quite the period coverage I was expecting.  Blenheim is a stunning victory no disputing that.  But it wasn't the only engagement and the only theatre.
I also thought that the quality of the photographs and the content of those pictures was not of the standard that they could have been.  None of them inspired me to pick up my paintbrush which, I believe, a good photograph should do.
Okay I'm spoilt.  I am fortunate enough to play large games with lots of figures on good terrain already.  But, a few good snippets aside (I liked the little side bar pieces on dragoons and artillery), I don't feel as though the period has been given the representation it should have by the magazine and wonder how many new recruits will come to the period as a result.
Save £4.50 and do the search on the internet instead - it'll be much more rewarding.

9 comments:

Hendrid said...

Pretty much the same as me. Looked to be a copy to buy but overall pretty disapointed, not even much eye candy to drool over. Could have been a lot better and indeed expected to be :-(

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

I was going to get it because of the period... not so sure I'll bother now.... is it me or are all the magazines suffering a bit of the samey'ness.... endless pictures of fantastically painted figures are just not cutting it for me.... I'm looking for ideas and brain food which are sadly lacking!

Ian said...

Shame for you and the period, it's always a let down when your chosen period gets the spotlight

Ian

REDTROOP said...

Did exactly the same as you. Saw cover, bought magazine, then disappointment.
Where were all the cool Osprey Maps and artwork that we have had in the past?

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Redtroop makes a good point by the way.. have you noticed that Osprey are more than happy to bring out Pirate books, or Combat Helmets of the German Pioneer Corps, or any other bizarre/unusual period but there is still no Campaign book on Malplaquet, or Ramillies, or Oudenarde??? Not sure they've even covered Almanza... :o(

Paul Robinson said...

At the moment if wasn't for the fact that I'm subscriber I'd give up ALL the magazines. Nothing new and nothing of great interest. The internet delivers all my needs with regard to painting techniques, new figures (and without the jaundiced reviews) and history articles.
The WSS is under served in reference books compared to other periods. Osprey are taking a different approach by publishing books that they can make lots of money on quickly rather than long term investments.

Monty said...

Actually I bought this WI to get a first step into this period but as most of you the articles didn't attract me.

I hope the next one will be better again...

Cheers
Stefan

Colin said...

Could not agree more! The issue 'focussing' on the Franco Prussian war was equally dismal.

warpaintjj said...

Totally agree, I haven't bought Wi for ages and rarely the others either! The comment on brain food hit the nail on the head. Wss is good if it happens to cover your faves otherwise no appeal to me. Mr Hydes new mag doesn't push my buttons but is possibly the front runner for me - I want him to succeed but that shouldn't mean having to buy his product. Hopefully things improve. JJ